Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Holistic Therapy--Yes But I Won't Be Using That Word

Well, I feel as if I have been drug kicking and screaming into the holistic revolution.

After years of resisting it, I just have to give in.

But outside of the title of this article, I still won't be using the word.  Why?  Because it is a buzzword.  It means so many different things that it means nothing.  It is a way of saying, "I'm with you; I'm with the modern IN crowd."  But the word means so many things it starts to mean nothing.

But what I do want to do is be comprehensive in the way I approach depression.  Cognitive therapy is not the only way.  Behavior therapy is not the only way.  Medication is not the only way.  Even electroconvulsive therapy may have its place.  Exercise is definitely a factor in recovery, and I believe that for some people nutrition may be important.

I did not reach this conclusion because of a desire to be part of a feel good movement.  I reached it out of pure practicality and what works.  Or what doesn't work would be a better description.  What doesn't work as well as we wished it worked.  And that would include pretty much every treatment that we know of now.

When I started learning cognitive therapy, in 1980, it was relatively new.  It was not inconceivable that cognitive therapy, or cognitive therapy combined with behavioral therapy, or cognitive therapy combined with medication, etc. just might cure most people.  Sadly, that has not been the case.  The ultimate solution to the riddle of depression lies a ways off--perhaps fifty years, perhaps a century.  Talking therapy has proved to be just as limited as medication.  Cognitive therapy has more research evidence behind it than psychoanalytic therapy.  But that doesn't mean it is much more effective.

However, there are a variety of interventions and coping techniques which can help depression:
exercise
nutrition
spiritual techniques
mindfulness techniques, e.g. meditation
positive psychology techniques (such as altruism and volunteering)

These are just a few.

Why did I resist the idea of a comprehensive "holistic" approach?  It seemed just too much of a catchphrase, better at making authors money and being part of a feel good movement than really helping people.  The research for holistic approaches was often flimsy when one actually looked into it.  That is beginning to change.  Research into alternative techniques (alternative to medication and talking therapy) is growing in amount and in quality.

Also, I was simply overly focused on pure psychotherapy research and too much of a true believer.  Perhaps I can be forgiven for being a "true believer" in a technique which had really quality research showing that it worked.  What the research also showed, however, was that it worked only up to a point.  It worked for certain people and not others.  Or it worked partially for some people.  For awhile it seemed that there must be a moderator variable in there somewhere.  If we gave it for 40 sessions instead of 20, maybe that would make it much better  If we combined it with other treatments, or if we used it only for certain patients, or if patients would only do their homework, etc. then maybe it would work for almost everyone.  And each of these was a legitimate issue, but it never solved the whole puzzle. 

It's not that I have quit believing in cognitive psychotherapy.  It is still the main treatment I would recommend for someone who has mild to moderate depression.  If I had a family member with depression, I would want them to have cognitive behavioral therapy, and maybe medication.

It's just that it is now clear that no matter how you slice and dice psychotherapy, it will have limited results.  The same is true of antidepressants.

I have been reacquainting myself with the new biological research into the underlying brain issues associated with depression.  It is clear that for some types of depression, and maybe all severe depressions, there is a biological substratum.  We now believe that chronic stress releases so much cortisol over such a long period of time that it damages certain parts of the brain.  There is evidence for this as a possible cause of depression.

The brain can regenerate cells in some areas.  One of those areas is the critical hippocampus.  It is involved in memory and also in controlling our anxiety/fight or flight mechanism (HPA axis).  Regeneration of hippocampal cells is stimulated by brain derived neurotrophic hormone (BDNH), which in turn is released after exercise.  Outcome studies are pointing to excellent treatment effects for depression with exercise.

Thus, theoretical and basic science findings such as this are encouraging me to think more broadly.

Secondly, outcome studies of exercise and other techniques such as medication are showing good effects.  Cognitive therapy has a lot of good research behind it, but now we are starting to see some really good research outcomes for exercise and positive psychotherapy.

Thirdly, as I have improved my own healthy behaviors, I feel less hypocritical asking my patients to work on theirs.  I am more comfortable now advocating that other people do things which I used to avoid working on for myself.

Just how helpful are some of these alternative therapies?  Exercise has been shown to be quite helpful, perhaps yielding as large an antidepressant effect as current medications on the market.  Nutrition has not been as well studied as exercise.  However, one Australian study published in the prestigious journal Lancet, found that there was a correlation between fish consumption and a lowered risk of depression.  (Correlation studies such as this have to be followed by experimental studies to be fully interpretable, however).  Omega 3 fatty acids are thought to be very important in proper brain function.  Other foods, such as protein, are important because they provide a good supply of all the necessary amino acids.

Well, that's enough for now.  I hope to write more about this later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had some great feed back to this post that i have placed on the blog for everyone to see. It is always hard to find the right balance when talking about this subject.
HOLISTIC THERAPISTS DIRECTORY

Emily Wonder said...

My daughter (Annabel) suffered from schizophrenia for 5 years. I had no idea what was happening and didn’t know where to turn for help. It was hard then because I really didn’t understand the symptoms earlier until she was diagnosed. There was a time she decided to get away from everyone, I was not excluded. I had to sit and cry almost every day because I felt helpless as a single mother (she is all I have got). The anguish I went through taking care of her alone is beyond explanation because there was no support whatsoever from the dad or family members. I fought for proper medical care and humane treatment; I did everything within my reach to get her cured but all to no avail. Countless different medications was prescribed (Zyprexa, fluphenazine, Risperdal, quetiapine, etc.) that she was taking but all we could get was myriad of side effects such as rigidity, drowsiness, dizziness, tremors and restlessness which tends to worsen the already damaged situation. Frustration was the order of the day. I wrote a couple of messages to Ontario Mental Health Foundation for help because watching my daughter go through such was devastating. It was at this foundation someone shared a testimony about DR James herba mix medicine, how effective it is and how she went through the most difficult times of her life trying to help her mom fight Schizophrenia. Being that I was already at the verge of giving up because I just couldn't imagine waking up every morning to fight the same demons that left me so tired the night before. I had to contact the doctor,on his email  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)  from our conversations; I was relieved and convinced that the result is going to be positive because I was made to contact people with worse cases. Today, the awful situation of my daughter has gone by. Her happy life is back. She is now a schizophrenia survivor and I am glad because my daily routine activities can now kick off without obstructions. Don't let Schizophrenia hinder you from living a desired life and also, never allow anyone to decide for you especially when they don't know what you have to go through to get to where you are. I was almost discouraged by the doctor but then, I remembered that: I have to shield my daughter’s destiny with courage, faith and perseverance because she is not in her right state of mind and that the bravery and freedom from fear is found in the ‘doing’. Her life is now a testimony. After my daughter got cured,from the herbal mix medicine Dr James prepared and sent to me, she said, Mom “I just thought, ‘Well, I’m a weirdo, I’ll never be normal, then I said, my daughter, life itself is a misery and we get stronger in the places we have been broken. Thanks to you Dr. James  for your excellent counseling, no more psychotic symptoms for the past 3 years and 4 months now. To know more about Dr.James and the effectiveness of his Herbs and roots extracts and he said he got cures for diseases like Bipolar,DIABETES, HPV,SHINGLES,CANCER, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASE, HERPES, Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, Bladder cancer,Skin cancer, Prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer,. You can reach him on his Email at ... drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.  I believe you will testify just like me.